I’ve been using the Arduino IDE for some project development recently, and finding that I’m getting very high CPU usage from Java to the point that it’s slowing my machine down, and then Arduino IDE becomes unresponsive. I couldn’t find any info on any of the forums related to this, but from my own research I believe I have found the problem.
It seems that my problem comes after a long time connected to the Serial Monitor and receiving data from the Arduino. It then gets worse and worse until things start getting unresponsive. The solution for me appears to be to basically just close the Serial Monitor, and reopen it. this can sometimes take a long time, and has caused Arduino to become unresponsive before, causing it to crash and restart. However, this appears to have been the only time I have seen this problem online.
I had to change the anti roll bar bushes on my Civic EP3. I was getting a knocking noise, and upon investigation it turned out that they were really loose, and you could basically move the anti roll bar by hand. I got the parts from Eurocarparts (probably not the best quality – would suggest a better Motorfactors), and they were easy to change within 5 minutes with just a 14mm socket!
Arduino have just announced a bunch of new boards, including one with an on board FPGA chip (plus a SAMD21 Cortex-M0+, plus an ESP32 WiFi and Bluetooth Module). A Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) chip is possibly the most impressive piece of electronics going. They are essentially a way of creating entirely custom digital electronic circuits (resistors and transistors) all inside a tiny chip, and completely reprogrammable – genius!
See more about the Arduino Vidor CAN bus support after the break.
I’ve been writing some software for a Wifi based CAN data logger for the ESP8266 in the Arduino platform, and have been getting a bit of a strange error. It appeared to be related to using the std::string functions in my code – and although I have used this in other sketches without issue, I suddenly received the following error as soon as I simply declared a std::string variable:
c:/users/scott/appdata/local/arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/1.20.0-26-gb404fb9-2/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/4.8.2/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld.exe: C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\build525647f6f8500d071cfab5cccf314276.tmp/ESPCANLogger.ino.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `iram1_0_seg'
For my own future reference more than anything else, to get the ILI9341 (either Adafruit or otherwise) working on the ESP8266 using the Arduino development environment isn’t completely straightforward. I knew I had this working previously, but couldn’t find the info again, so am copying it here.
I’ve been following a series of videos on YouTube of a couple of guys who have been busy building a Briggs and Stratton engine with a transparent cylinder head. They’ve now got it running surprisingly well: