It’s working! As far as I can find, this is the first example of an MCP2515 CAN SPI module working with an ESP8266.
Previous post on my setup with ESP8266 and MCP2515
I have just bought another ESP8266/NodeMCU development board cheapy from eBay (this one) with an ESP-12E chip on board. I’ve also bought an SPI-CAN bus interface with the common Microchip MCP2515 CAN controller to try and create a CAN-Wifi gateway.
Warning: do not connect the DHT11 temperature sensor as indicated in the eBay pictures, it is the wrong way around and will fry your board!
Update: Board has arrived, more details and pinout here
It would seem that the ESP8266 is quickly becoming a pretty well supported WiFI microcontroller within the DIY/hacker community, and certainly presents itself as a pretty good alternative to an Arduino for projects requiring simple IO and WiFi. There’s even a project looking at using compiling the Arduino IDE and compatible code for the ESP8266!
I have one of the original versions of these units, but ave struggled to get anything sensible out of it, and so was looking on Ebay for some more items and came across this breakout/development board. For £9.99 I thought I’d give it a go, and ordered it a couple of weeks ago. Will give more details when it arrives. More details and pics after the break
I was sent a link to this website by the author, who appears to have created an Arduino ECU for spark control. Although the details are a little sparse, It appears that he has developed a lot of the required hardware himself. It looks like the main controller is an Arduino Nano and utilises Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) and a knock sensor to determine the ignition timing on a Peugeot 205 Tu9 45Ch. It would appear that the ECU has been developed over a number of revisions and has been in operation for over a year.
I’ve made a video of the whole system explaining all of the sensors, actuators and interfaces, and some of the more advanced indicating equipment that I’m using.
A more detailed explanation of the closed loop ignition timing control is given here: http://scottsnowden.co.uk/?p=341
I have been busy over the last few weeks with various things, but have now completed most of the practical work on my project and am now at the stage of writing up the report/dissertation. I have successfully managed to achieve closed loop ignition timing control by using the Stellaris Launchpad development board to directly interface with the optical encoder on the engine and the pressure sensor charge amplifier (this replaces the AVL IndiSet 620 in my system).
I have now managed to run the engine with electronic fuel injection (EFI) and electronic ignition, both controlled from my ECU. I’ve also managed to run in closed loop lambda control to maintain the correct air to fuel ratio.
Success! I have started and run the engine on my own electronic ignition. The problem was in the end quite simple, it turns out that the missing tooth wheel on the crank was aligned differently to what I expected. I thought that the missing tooth occurred 240 degrees after TDC, but in fact it appears to be aligned almost exactly at TDC. This meant that my spark was happening around Bottom Dead Centre, which is no use at all!
From my couple of brief tests, I’ve identified a few problems which are preventing the engine from starting up and running for more than a few seconds.
Today was the first test of the engine with the control unit and it worked! Albeit only for a short time and a bit roughly (only had about 10 minutes to test). Initially I just needed to check that the ECU was triggering the ignition and fuel injection, and find a roughly suitable ignition angle.