I spent yesterday setting up the engine and equipment that I will need for the project. The engine is mounted on a frame with a car alternator as the load. The frame is then stood on a trolley which can be moved around. Some driving circuitry for the fuel injector and ignition coil has already been built and is also mounted to the trolley. There is also a conditioning circuit for the Variable Reluctance Sensor (VRS) to process the toothed wheel sensor output into a nice clean square wave ready to input to a microcontroller. The engine can be run using the stock carburettor, or with a fuel injector, and can use the stock magneto ignition or electronically controlled coil ignition.
I’ve set up a PC on the trolley to use to reprogram my ECU, and an Oscilloscope to measure signals. I forgot to take pictures, but will add them later when I do.
Update: pictures available here http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadgit/sets/72157633929512218/