After dismantling my 3SGTE, we found that all of the bearings had picked up and one big end had spun completely and ripped the bearing in half. Most of them looked like this:
The crank was also scored and I suspect the con rod with the spun bearing my have gone oval too.
I managed to find a second hand crank shaft for £90 which is in pretty good condition:
Could benefit from a little polishing perhaps. I then also needed a new con rod to replace the ovaled one. I found a set of 4 including pistons on eBay for £85. Turns out that these weren’t all so good.
One looks burn, possibly from running lean, and all of the rings are jammed in the piston, looks like it’s overheated. The top of the piston also seems to have parts missing and burnt out
The con rods also appear a different colour, but I have a feeling this might just be discolouration from standing around (mine on top, new one on bottom)
Fortunately there was one good rod and piston which I will use to rebuild. Have also bought new piston rings and ACL race bearings.
Was just unpacking the bearings to trial fit the crank and Con rods and check oil clearances with plastigauge, and unfortunately found one of the main bearings was damaged. Looks like the bearing has slipped in the package and been damaged by the edge of another one:
So now have to send these back to replace them.
This is what looks like normal bearing wear on one of the big ends