Today was the first test of the engine with the control unit and it worked! Albeit only for a short time and a bit roughly (only had about 10 minutes to test). Initially I just needed to check that the ECU was triggering the ignition and fuel injection, and find a roughly suitable ignition angle.
I have now managed to successfully map my engine simulator for the fuel injection timings across all loads and engine speeds. I have set up a two dimensional array, of speed and throttle position, and inside each element is the time in microseconds (us) that the fuel injector should be open for. I’ve also added closed loop lambda feedback.